Hi Thrill Seekers,
Today’s post is a guest article from Rachel Smith. Rachel has worked for Orlando Attraction Tickets since 2011.
I was lucky enough to visit Orlando twice with my family when I was younger, in 2002 and 2006. It is a brilliant place for adults and children of all ages and I have some wonderful memories of my time there. It is extremely difficult to choose my favourite rides as there are so many, but I have managed to whittle it down to my top 5.
1. The Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster starring Aerosmith at Disney’s Hollywood Studios has to be my favourite ride in Orlando. This was the first real roller coaster I had ever been on. Aerosmith’s Steven Tyler begins a countdown. You are then shot into pitch black at 0 – 60 mph in 2.8 seconds, straight into the first inversion. If you can keep your eyes open the neon signs look spectacular in the dark and the Aerosmith music playing in your ears adds to the experience. My mum is not a big fan of thrill rides, but dutifully she agreed to come on with me…only for me to make a friend in the queue and leave her to ride alone. Something she has never allowed me to forget!
2. Being a big fan of Marvel as well as big coasters, the Incredible Hulk Roller Coaster at Universal’s Islands of Adventure had to be in my top 5. You are launched through an enclosed tunnel from 0 – 40 mph in in 2 seconds flat with flashing lights around you and the sounds of Bruce Banner being hit by gammar rays. This, along with the 150 ft. incline makes the ride seem much faster than the Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster. The speed only increases as you go through 7 inversions. Definitely not one to miss!
3. The Kali River Rapids may not be the biggest thrill ride in Orlando, but it is certainly one of the wettest and is a great for all ages! This is in my top 5 due to an incident that occurred during my first visit to Orlando. My nan had decided that she would join myself and my mum on this one, a decision I’m sure she regretted. There is a 20 foot slope that cannot be seen from the queue. It may not seem like a big drop, but it caused a massive wave to go over the boat. Whilst everyone was recovering from the water a little voice (me) shouts ‘Look, nan’s got horns!’. At which point 9 strangers turned to look at my extremely red faced Nan and erupted in laughter, as her hair had formed 2 devil horns. I don’t think she saw the funny side…
4. Kraken at SeaWorld is another incredible roller coaster. Once seated the floor pulls away so your feet are left hanging. Be sure to have a good look at the surrounding area as you climb the 149 foot-tall chain lift. You can see most of Orlando from the top! You then plummet to the ground at almost 65mph. There are so many loops you won’t know which way is up. You will even experience a feeling of weightlessness as you go through the zero-g roll. If you have the time definitely try and get a seat right at the front. You can see the entire track in front of you as you speed around the track!
5. Mission: SPACE at Disney’s Epcot Park is like no other ride I have ever been on. You can choose out of 2 levels of astronaut training which offer different intensities. I always went for the Orange Team Experience which is the most intense. You board a shuttle and take a seat as part of the crew. The sensation off takeoff and landing is incredible. It really makes you feel like you’re in space. Just don’t be too put off by the sick bags!
I honestly could name at least another 10 rides that I love, I haven’t even included Busch Gardens which has some of the best Coasters in Florida.
Maybe next time I’ll write about another five favourites?
A big thank you to Rachel for sharing her top 5 Orlando Attractions. You can speak to Rachel via our Live Chat facility online or over the phone on 0845 226 8523.