Hey Thrill Seekers,
In July 2015 we confirmed that Universal had signed an exclusive agreement with computer giants Nintendo to bring their wealth of IP’s to theme park lovers.
Today we received access to a video from Universal featuring Mark Woodbury, Universal Creative discussing the plans for a Nintendo World that will feature at Orlando, Hollywood and Japan. Accompanied by Shigeru Miyamoto from Nintendo we got the chance to hear a little about what they have planned without actually knowing any details.
Here’s the video;
Although there aren’t any real details included, this is what we took away from this small offering.
- The use of the word World to describe the Nintendo area goes against the norm, usually they state land. The use of world gives it a feeling of being massive!
- Immersive, Interactive and Involved Were all words used by Mark to describe the experience they’re looking for. For me this brings back memories of the kind of buzz words they used for Diagon Alley which has interactive elements such as the wands.
- We noted (as I’m sure you did) that Mario featured heavily in the video. I’ve watched it a few times and I can only see Mario characters.
- No mention of opening dates or even when ground will be broken. I’m hearing rumours that Japan and Hollywood will get a Nintendo World first but the Orlando offering will be the biggest of the three. Could this be so that Universal can prepare the land they purchased recently.
UPDATED: Universal have also followed up with some written information that mirrors our own feels;
- These will be expansive, immersive and interactive. They’ll be highly themed and authentic environments filled with multiple attractions, shops and restaurants.
- You’ll feel as if you’re playing inside your favorite games – in real life.
- There will be something for everyone—regardless of their age or gaming experience level.
- Planning and creative work on these areas is well underway; they will open separately over the next several years.
This is the quote that stuck out to me;
The goal of everyone on this project is clear: to bring the characters, action and adventure of Nintendo video games to life within Universal theme parks. And to do so in new and innovative ways that capture what makes them so special.
All of the adventure, fun and whimsy you experience through a screen will now be all around you – in breathtakingly authentic ways.
We’ll keep you posted when we learn more?