Hey Thrill Seekers,
Universal Orlando are going big with their 25th Mardi Gras celebrations. Mardi Gras is one of my favourite events that Universal do, it’s colourful, energetic, vibrant and alongside the great floats, live entertainment there’s always a great selection of food on offer and this year is no different with new drinks and dishes to enjoy!
We’re not just getting a few new dishes here and there, this year there will be a brand spanking new food tent called Carnival Around The Universe Tent.
This particular food tent will rotate out the countries every two weeks, providing new options for you try on each visit.
Weeks 1 and 2 – Trinidad and Tobago
- Grilled Pineapple Trini-Chow (topped with kimchi seasoning and cilantro)
- Pholourie (fried spicy split pea dough with turmeric, curry powder and tamarind chutney)
- Chickpea Double (served on spicy bara flatbread with cilantro and mango chutney)
Weeks 3 and 4 – Louisiana Creole
- Softshell Crab Slider (softshell crab with organic veggie slaw and a bayou aioli)
- Cauliflower Dirty Rice (riced cauliflower with plant-based protein crumbles, black eyed peas and Cajun spices)
Weeks 5 and 6 – Brazil
- Pao de Quiejo (warm cheese bread served with guava dipping sauce)
- Sweet Plantains (covered in cinnamon and sugar served with banana poppy seed dipping sauce)
The cheese bread looks amaaaaazing!
Weeks 7 and 8 – Germany
- Sauerbraten (slow braised beef with buttered spaetzel, pickled red cabbage and topped with a red wine sauce)
- Grilled Bratwurst (served on a potato pancake with whole grain mustard, sour cream and chives)
- Warm Pretzel
Mardi Gras Drinks
This year, there is lots of new drinks to pair with your food, along with new souvenir cup designs. A certain number of these specialty drinks will only be available with the purchase of a food item at the location they are served.
Available in the full 20oz specialty drinks:
- High Seas Twister (kinda like a rum punch)
- Blue Voodoo (tasty blue margarita)
- Carnival Lane (refreshing gin drink with fruit juices)
- Baby Cakes (vodka drink that tastes like king cake!)
- Bourbon Street Punch (exclusive to the Bayou Boil)
- Coconut Water in a Coconut (non-alcoholic and available only during week 1 & 2 of Carnival Around the Universe)
Available for food & beverage 9oz pairings ONLY:
- Hoodoo Cold Brew (pecan vodka cold brew – great with beignets)
- Cajun Bloody Mary (pair with Jambalaya)
- Pecan Street (vodka caramel drink available only during week 3 & 4 of Carnival Around the Universe and pairs with the Softshell Crab Slider)
- Girl from Ipanema (gin coconut drink, my personal favorite, available only during week 5 & 6 of Carnival Around the Universe and pairs with the Pao de Quiejo)
Float Floats. These drinks are inspired by the new parade floats this year, which are themed to the Treasures of the Deep. You can find them over at Schwab’s Pharmacy in the Hollywood section of Universal Studios.
Mardi Gras Classics
You can’t have Mardi Gras without the Cajun classics. Returning to The French Quarter Courtyard are your flavorful favorites like:
- King Cake
- Shrimp Gumbo
- Red Beans & Rice with Shrimp
- Cajun Twisted Tater
- Gator Bites
- Crab Etouffee
- Shrimp & Andouille Po’ Boy
- Sausage Po’ Boy
- Catfish Po’ Boy
- Chicken & Andouille Po’ Boy
There’s also lots of tasty treats to be had at CityWalk!
- Toothsome Chocolate Emporium & Savory Feast Kitchen
- The French Quarter Milkshake (everything king cake in a glass)
- Voodoo Doughnut
- Mardi Gras Doughnut (filled with cinnamon sugar bavarian cream)
- The Cowfish
- Masquerade Martini (grape vodka with blue curacao and citrus flavors)
- Bob Marley – A Tribute to Freedom
- Party Gras Drink (vodka and coconut rum with pineapple flavors)
- Voodoo Doctor Drink (classic margarita with a hint of black raspberry)
- Pat O’Brien’s
- Taste of Nola (red beans and rice, crawfish and andouille etouffee and blackened chicken with creole sauce)
- Hot Dog Hall of Fame
- Mardi Gras Muffuletta Platter (footlong hot dog with traditional muffuletta dressing)
- Bread Box
- Roast Beef Po’boy (shaved roast beef and gravy with toppings)
- King Cake Bon (classic Cinnabon dressed up in its Mardi Gras best)
- CityWalk Food & Beverage Carts
- The Jester Drink (apple whiskey with melon flavors)
Mardi Gras is running from this Saturday (1st Feb) all the way until the 2nd April so there’s loads of time to fit in all these yummy treats.
Who’s off to catch some beads this year??